periodically, the proust questionnaire makes its rounds in bloglandia and now i've been tagged. i thought it would be fun to answer the questions and then challenge you and your friends to do so at your next party. so here we begin, your true insight into hawthorne girl. you already know i'm a little nutty and now here is proof!
1. what is my favorite virtue? the ability to love openly
2. what is my favorite quality in a man? i'm a little old fashioned and still love chivalry.
3. what is my favorite quality in a woman? i love the sisterly bond that women can form, even if it's not your "true" sister.
4. what is my chief characteristic? independence. i grew up the youngest of four children and i think by the time i came around, my parents were too tired to be control freaks so they just let me do my own thing. at one point in my life, my mom said she was sorry to have raised me so independently because she didn't think i really needed her (entirely not true but you get the point).
5. what do i appreciate most in my friends? their unconditional support. i can't tell you how many times my friends have heard the same old story but they act as if they never had and continue to give me their fabulous advice and support.
6. what is my main fault? I tend to be a little lazy. i want all of these great things (like speaking five languages) but i don't want to do the work to achieve them.
7. what is my favorite occupation? if i could do it all over again, i would be a writer.
8. what is my idea of happiness? to have the people that i love all around me for sunday night dinners.
photo courtesy of northern virginia magazine
9. what is my idea of misery? to feel absolutely and utterly alone. or to be out of coffee.
10. if not yourself, who would you like to be? a woman in paris in the 1930s or 40s, like coco chanel. this is also my favorite perfume.
photo courtesy of diaphotography
11. where would you like to live? in a big old barn or chapel out in the country--or maybe paris.
12. what is your favorite color and flower? red and orange tulips.
photo courtesy of the dude
13. who is my favorite prose author? hemingway, duh.
photo courtesy of gonzalo
14. who is my favorite poet? edna st. vincent millay. "my candle burns at both ends, it will not last the night but ah my foes and oh my friends, it gives a lovely light." hey, that's how i feel right about now!
photo courtesy of maine
15. who is is my favorite painter and composer? the composer part is easy--pachelbel. since the first time i heard him in college, i've loved him. as far as painters go, kahlo, picasso, and o'keefe. probably more for their whole being than their paintings per se, although i do love their art as well and i've grown up with them in my life forever.
16. who is my favorite heroine in history? sylvia beach.
17. what is my favorite food and drink? easy--green chile chicken enchiladas, tamales and wine.
photo courtesy of the food network
18. what natural talent would i like to have? to be able to play the accordion.
19. what is my present state of mind? ho exausto!
20. what characters in history do i hate the most? anyone who had anything thing to do with the extermination of the jews or the native americans.
21. what is the reform i admire most? gay marriage.
22. what is my favorite motto? "you can't take it with you."
and that's about all i can manage tonight. so go my friends and conquer proust!