Tuesday, July 21, 2009

in the closet


my closet in its current state




what i would love my closet to look like

if there is one thing i do not heart, it's my closet. i must confess, i'm a bit of a closet slob. it's not that i intentionally have a sloppy closet, it's just that i don't know what to do with it. i've tried everything--organizing by color, this makes the back of my closet look like a black hole, organizing by style--i can't find anything because it's too many colors and patterns mixed together. i've tried and tried to work on it until i just give up and it goes right back to the way it was before.

and another thing is the shoe situation. they just get so dusty on the floor and i'm constanly stepping on them. i've tried keeping them in the boxes and that lasts about one week because i'm too lazy to put them back in. i've also tried the hanging pouches and they never get put back in or i can't find what i'm looking for.

i am determined to tackle my closet issues! i have even called in a professional, my friend jandi at inspire style. inspire style is a great resource for finding the clothing that best works for you. i intend to do a full post on inspire style so today i'm just going to share with you what she suggested regarding my closet dilemma.

1. decorate your closet for daily inspiration.
2. create a place that promotes happiness through the use of lighting, scents, color, music and artwork.
3. create positive associations with clothes.
4. use the closet only for the storage of clothes. get everything out that is non-clothing related and anything (clothing included) that drains you or brings you down.

so this is my next project. i am going to take the advice of my friend and apply it to my closet reorganization. i'm even showing you the current state of my closet (how embarassing) in order to give me the motivation to accomplish this goal. i'll report back in a few weeks with photos of the new and improved closet. please feel free to give me any tips you use when it comes to closet organization.

thank you jandi for your help!
(closet image by the container store)

No comments:

Post a Comment